This blog is about the young life of Ian as told by his mother.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

There's a Pox on Our House

Holy crap. Things around here have been a little nuts for the past 24 hours. Tuesday I went back to work. When we all got up Tuesday morning, I noticed that the funky red thing under Ian's arm had exploded into lots of funky red things and looked really gross and horrible. Since I now was faced with the dilema of the working mom, I dropped him off to the sitters and took him to the doctor at 4:30 when work was over. After an hour of waiting with a cranky baby who refused to nap, the doctor came in, took one look and said, oh. Never a good sign. She thought Ian either had a staph infection or herpes (ew or ew) and that we needed to start antibiotics ASAP. She swabbed it and sent us on our way. By now it was like 5:45, and I still hadn't walked in the door. We pull up at CVS and there are like 6 cars in the drive thru, and if you're ever been to the drive thru at CVS, 6 cars is like a 30 minute wait. So now I drag the cranky baby out of the car, and to the pharmacy desk. Cranky baby refuses to walk, and so I'm lugging a 28lb crying thing through the store. I'm so frazzled at this point that I spent like 5 minutes waiting in the PICK UP line. Thankfully, people like to talk to you when you have a baby, and a kind man pointed me in the correct direction of the DROP OFF line. We finally got out of there, and home, to make dinner, and get ready for bed. Sent Rob back out to pick up the meds, got the first dose in him and put him in the crib. I can't say if it's getting better yet or not, but if it's not looking better by tomorrow, we have to call the doctor back, because it could possibly be the antibiotic resistant strain of staph, and then the lord only knows what we'll have to do.

In an unrelated matter, I had to drop off some "samples" for Ian at Lab Corp this morning. I'd like to say that while I generally think the people at Lab Corp suck, there was a wonderful man there who totally made my day. I was all dressed up in my first day of school teacher-wear and standing at the window hold a bag of shit (literally). The kind man saw my ID badge, and said, it's your first day back isn't it? I said yes, and he took care of me right away. There are good people in the world.

Going dairy free has been interesting. I'm not as overwhelmed by it as I was before. We're finding things that he'll eat, but it is a lot more work for me. The recent hit was avacado mashed potates, which sounds gross, but apparently he liked. Tonight I made soy muffins, and dairy-free meatballs (no cheese, panko bread crumbs instead of regular). He also liked soy pancakes (sub soy milk in place of regular milk and bisquick). Shockingly I found out the cresent rolls don't have dairy in them, and he loves those. He also likes the soy pudding that we got him.

It's been a busy week here, and it's only Wednesday.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Bern said...

Hang in there Kel! While it totally sounds brutal and overwhelming, you can totally manage it. :)

Poor Ian.. hope his.. jeez, string of problems get taken care of soon.